As a researcher, educator, facilitator and translator of theatre and performance, I am immensely interested in storytelling through shapeshifting. I received my MA in English from the University of Auckland, and PhD from the Department of Theatre and Dance at the University of Hawaii at Mānoa. Prior to my appointment at the National University of Singapore, I was a postdoctoral fellow with the Asian Studies Department at the University of Texas at Austin. My research interests include (post)colonialism, minor transnationalism, cultural diversity and dynamics of cross-cultural exchange in relation to the performing body.
- TS2880A Modern Drama in Asia
- TS3242 Intercultural Theatre and Performance
- TS3222 Applied Theatre
- TS4222 Performance as Research in Applied Theatre
- TS5101 Text and Performance
- TS5232 Performance, History and Cultural Memory
I welcome postgraduate students interested in any aspect of my research areas, especially in probody aesthetics.
I have supervised the following PhD thesis:
'Making Theatre, Discerning Silences: Engagements with Social Change in Burma/Myanmar and Thailand' (2016) Matthew J Yoxall
* Probody aesthetics
* Critical somatics
* Health and wellness in performance
* Body in performance pedagogy
* Intercultural theatre and performance
* Theatres of East Asia and the Pacific
- Liang, Peilin. Bodies and Transformance in Taiwanese Contemporary Theater (Routledge, 2020)
ARTICLES IN JOURNALS
- Liang, Peilin. "Towards a Collaborative Ergonomics: From Strangers to Symbiotic Community in Intercultural Performance" (under review)
- Liang, Peilin. "Towards Docuvention: The Multiplicities of Documentary Practices in Practice as Research (PaR) Applied Theatre." Research in Drama Education: The Journal of Applied Theatre and Performance (2019): 1-16. https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/ZSRQ9R5QSVMGG9WHVB9T/full?target=10.1080/13569783.2019.1643709
- Liang, Peilin. 'Towards a Probody Aesthetics: Ageing and Occupationally Damaged Bodies in Performance.' Research in Drama Education: The Journal of Applied Theatre and Performance (Dec 2018): 1-14.
- Liang, Peilin. 'A Home on the Island (I and II): Inter-body Performance as a Method to Move Beyond Resentment,' Theatre Topics ( March 2018) 28.1: 27-41. https://doi.org/10.1353/tt.2018.0005
- Liang, Peilin. 'From Grotowski to La Vie Bohème: Aesthetics, Performance Pedagogy, and the Taiwanese Body after U Theatre,' Contemporary Theatre Revi (2017) 27:2, 216-230. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/6wDhKMDEnen4nQMDw3Za/full
- Liang, Peilin. 'Interweaving Ethics and Aesthetics: Marriage Migrants and Theatre Making in the Asian Transnational Space.' Inter-Asia Cultural Studies 17.3 (Sep 2016): 334-356. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/HjqqChdpVPNPmDWXS9Ys/full
Liang, Peilin. 'Dreaming Muscular Prowess through Falling: censorship, puppets, and mimicry.' Performance Research 18.4 (Aug 2013): 124-132. https://doi.org/10.1080/13528165.2013.814345
Liang, Peilin. ‘Localizing People’s Theatre in East Asia: Performing Hakka Women and Pear-growers on Taiwan’s Fault Line.’ Research in Drama Education. 17.3 (Aug 2012): 377-396. https://doi.org/10.1080/13569783.2012.694032
Liang, Peilin. ‘Re-articulating Cultural Hybridity: The Golden Bough Performance Society and The Lady Knight-errant of Taiwan—Peh-sio-lan.’ Theatre Research International, 36.1 (2011): 20-32. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0307883310000696
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
Liang, Peilin. 'Joyously Traversing Jianghu: Golden Bough Performance Society’s Hotchpotch Aestheticism and Taiwanese Humour (幸福遊走江湖：金枝演社的拼貼美學與臺式幽默)' in A New Vision for Research on Taiwan (臺灣研究新視界：青年學者觀點). Taipei: Rye Field (麥田出版), 2012, 297-320.
- Liang, Peilin. 'The Awful Literary Scene of Taiwan.' Translation in The Columbia Sourcebook of Literary Taiwan. New York: Columbia University Press, 2014, 51-54.
- "Somatic Ergonomics: The Reconfiguration of Bodily Space" Body IQ Somatics Festival, Berlin, Germany, November 15-17, 2019.
- “Towards an Ergonomics of Collaboration: The (non)elasticity of theatre in an age of globalization” Performance Studies international #24, University of Calgary, July 4–8, 2019.
- “Aesthetics for the Body: From Work to Work-care through Performance” Annual International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts, Athens Institute for Education and Research, June 11–14, 2018
- 'A Home on the Island: Performance as Research in Applied Theatre' SDEA Theatre Arts Conference, 29 June-1 July 2017.
- 'Disrupting the Female ‘Overflow’: Marriage Migration, Affects, and Embodied Knowledge' PSi #23 University of Hamburg, 8-11 June 2017.
- 'Transformance: Historiography through Indigenous Historicity' International Federation for Theatre Research Conference. University of Stockholm, 13-17 June 2016.
- 'Intimate Strangers: Marriage Migrants and Intercultural Theatre in the Age of Minor Transnationalism' Singapore Drama Educators Theatre Arts Conference, 25-28 June 2015.
- 'Sightlines from the South: Performance, Sub-empire and Female Minor Transnationalism' Taiwan: The View from the South. Australian Center on China in the World, The Australian National University, 6-9 January, 2015
- 'East Asian Cultural Palimpsest in Training: Conceptualizing the Taiwanese Body through Performance Pedagogy' Performance Studies International Conference. Shanghai Theatre Academy, 4-8 July 2014.
- 'Compressed Space, Conflated Time, Embodied Materiality: East Asian Minor Transnationalism in Performance' Paper presented at Performance Studies International Conference. Stanford University, 26-30 June 2013.
- ‘Puppets, Colonization, and the Cold War: Tradition and Innovation in the Palm Puppetry of Taiwan’ Crossroads 2012. Sorbonne Nouvelle University, Sorbonne Paris Cité, UNESCO. 2-6 July 2012.
- ‘Joyously Traversing Jianghu: The Golden Bough Performance Society’s Hotchpotch Aestheticism and Taiwanese Humor’ Taiwan Literature and Culture: the Ninth International Junior Scholars' Conference on Sinology. Graduate Institute of Taiwan Literature, National Taiwan University, 9-10 July 2010.
- ‘Localizing Brecht—Performing Hakka Women and Pear-growers on Taiwan’s Fault Line’ Brecht in/and Asia: Thirteenth Symposium of International Brecht Society. Department of Theatre and Dance, University of Hawaii at Mānoa, 19-23 May 2010.
- 'A Tradition of Cultural Hybridity in Performance under Colonial Censorship—The Golden Bough Performance Society’ at Silent Voices, International Federation for Theatre Research Conference, University of Lisbon, 14-17 July 2009.
PAPERS FOR SEMINAR, PUBLIC TALK, LECTURE
- 'Applied Theatre' Inter-varsity Theatre Forum hosted by NUS Stage National University of Singapore, 4-5 Jan, 2014
- 'Rehearsing Cultural Diversity: multiculturalism in the contemporary theatre of Taiwan' Department of English Language and Literature at National University of Singapore, 29 March, 2012.
- ‘A Popular Culture Born of Theatrical Healing: Golden Bough Performance Society and Its Four Plays’ Department of Religion and Department of Modern Languages and Literature, Trinity University, San Antonio, September 2011.
- ‘The Drama of the Capital Jingju’, Department of Asian Studies,
University of Texas at Austin, April 2010.
- ‘Decolonizing the Stage: The Contemporary Indigenous Theatre of Taiwan’, invited workshop presentation at the Intercollegiate Taiwanese-American Student Association Conference, University of Texas at Austin, March 2010.
- ‘The Splendor of Cultural Hybridity on the Contemporary Stage of Taiwan’, National Taipei University, December 2009.
- ‘The Indigenous Theatre of Taiwan’ Department of Asian Studies, University of Texas at Austin, November 2009.
- ‘Performing Hakka Women on Taiwan’s Central Fault Line’ Taiwan Women Spring Lecture Series,
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, March 2008.
- ‘From Kitchen to the Stage—
Performing Hakka Women on Taiwan’s Central Fault Line’, Taiwan Women Winter Retreat, Totowa, December 2007.
- ‘Weaving a Tale of Many Voices—The Making of Multiculturalism in the Contemporary Theatre of Taiwan’, Department of Drama Creation and Application, National University of Tainan, November 2006.
- ‘Cultural Creation and Recreation—Making Multiculturalism in the Contemporary Theatre of Taiwan’, Institute of Ethnology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, October 2006.
RECENT AWARDS, GRANTS AND FELLOWSHIPS
NUS/FASS Book Grant Award 2019-2020
NUS/FASS Faculty Teaching Excellence Award (FTEA) 2017-2018
NUS/FASS Writing Fellowship AY2016-2017 (Sem II)
NUS/FASS Faculty Teaching Excellence Award (FTEA) 2015-2016
NUS/FASS Start-up Grant (Agency and Aesthetics) 2013-2016