CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
- Smith, Christian S. and Robert D. Woodberry. 2012. "Sociology of Religion." pp. 367-384 in The Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Sociology. George Ritzer (ed.). Cambridge: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Woodberry, Robert D. 2012. “Conclusion: World Christianity - Its History, Spread and Social Influence” pp. 259-271 in Introducing World Christianity. Charles Farhadian (ed.). Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Woodberry, Robert D. in press. “Exploring the Relationship between Pentecostalism and Democracy.” in Spirit & Power: The Growth and Global Impact of Pentecostalism. Donald E. Miller, Kimon H. Sargeant and Richard Florey (eds.). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Woodberry, Robert D. 2011. “Religion and the Spread of Human Capital and Political Institutions: Christian Missions as a Quasi-Natural Experiment.” pp. 111-131 in The Oxford Handbook of the Economics of Religion. Rachel McCleary (ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Woodberry, Robert D. 2009. “The Social Impact of Missions.” pp. 286-290 in Perspectives on the World Christian Movement (4th ed.). Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library
- Woodberry, Robert D. 2008. “Pentecostalism and Economic Development.” pp. 157-77 in Markets, Morals, and Religion. Jonathan B. Imber (ed.) with a preface by Peter L. Berger. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers.
- Woodberry, Robert D. 2007. “The Social Impact of Missionary Higher Education.” pp. 99-120 in Christian Responses to Asian Challenges: A Glocalization View on Christian Higher Education in East Asia. Philip Yuen Sang Leung and Peter Tze Ming Ng (eds.). Hong Kong: Centre for the Study of Religion and Chinese Society, Chung Chi College, Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Woodberry, Robert D. 2007. “Missions and Economics,” “Missions and Modernity,” & “Missions and Politics.” pp. 123-127, 265-268, 347-350 in Encyclopedia of Missions and Missionaries. Jonathan J. Bonk (ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Woodberry, Robert D. 2005. “Spiritual Capital.” pp. 12-19 in Spiritual Information. Charles L. Harper, Jr., (ed.). Philadelphia: Templeton Foundation Press.
- Robert D. Woodberry and Timothy Samuel Shah. 2005. “The Pioneering Protestants.” pp. 117-32 in World Religions and Democracy. Larry Diamond, Marc F. Plattner and Philip J. Costopoulos (eds.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Smith, Christian S. and Robert D. Woodberry. 2001. "Sociology of Religion." pp. 100-113 in The Blackwell Companion to Sociology. Judith Blau (ed.). Cambridge: Blackwell.
ARTICLES IN JOURNAL
- Woodberry, Robert D. 2012. “The Missionary Roots of Liberal Democracy.” American Political Science Review 106(2): 244-274.
- Woodberry, Robert D., Jerry Park, and Lyman A. Kellstedt with Mark Regnerus and Brian Steensland. Forthcoming. “The Measure of American Religious Traditions: Theoretical and Measurement Considerations.” Social Forces.
- Zhai, Jiexia Elisa and Robert D. Woodberry. 2011. “Religion and Educational Ideals in Contemporary Taiwan.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 50(2): 307-327.
- Gallego, Francesco and Robert D. Woodberry 2010. “Christian Missions and Education in Former African Colonies: How Competition Mattered.” Journal of African Economies 19(3): 294-319.
- Woodberry, Robert D. 2006. “The Economic Consequences of Pentecostal Belief.” Society. 44(1): 29-35.
- Ammerman, Nancy, with Wendy Cadge, Milagros Peña, Robert D. Woodberry, and Omar McRoberts. 2006. “On Being a Community of Scholars – Practicing the Study of Religion.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion. 45(2): 137-148.
- Woodberry, Robert D. 2006. “Reclaiming the M-Word: The Consequences of Missions for Nonwestern Societies.” The Review of Faith and International Affairs 4(1): 3-12.
- Woodberry, Robert D. and Timothy S. Shah. 2004. “Christianity and Democracy: The Pioneering Protestants.” Journal of Democracy 15(2): 47-61.
- Woodberry, Robert D. and Howard E. Aldrich. 2000. “Planning and Running Effective Classroom-Based Exercises.” Teaching Sociology 28(3): 241-248.
- Steensland, Brian, Jerry Z. Park, Mark D. Regnerus, Lynn D. Robinson, W. Bradford Wilcox, and Robert D. Woodberry. 2000. “The Measure of American Religion: Toward Improving the State of the Art.” Social Forces 79(1): 291-318.
- Woodberry, Robert D. 1998. “When Surveys Lie and People Tell the Truth: How Surveys Over-Sample Church Attenders.” American Sociological Review 63(1): 119-122.
- Woodberry, Robert D. and Christian S. Smith. 1998. “Fundamentalism et al.: Conservative Protestants in America.” Annual Review of Sociology 22: 25-56.
- Welch, Michael, David Leege, and Robert Woodberry. 1998. “Pro-life Catholics and Support for Political Lobbying by Religious Groups.” Social Science Quarterly 79(3): 649-663.
SHORTER ARTICLES/COMMENTS IN JOURNAL
- Woodberry, Robert D. and Howard E. Aldrich. 2000. “Making Classroom Exercises Work.” The Teaching Professor 14(8): 4
- Robert D. Woodberry. 2010. “Review of the Atlas of Global Christianity.” International Bulletin of Missionary Research 34(1): 50.
- Robert D. Woodberry. 2010. “Review of the World Religion Database.” International Bulletin of Missionary Research 34(1): 21-22.
- Robert D. Woodberry. 1998. “Review of ‘Resurgent Evangelicalism in the United States: Mapping Cultural Change Since 1970.’” Social Forces 77(1): 396-98.
- Robert D. Woodberry. 1998. “Review of ‘Beyond Missionaries: Toward an Understanding of the Protestant Movement in Central America.’” Review of Religious Research 39(3): 278-79.
- Robert D. Woodberry. 1997. “Review of ‘The Right and the Righteous: The Christian Right Confronts the Republican Party.’” Review of Religious Research 39(2): 191-92.
- Robert D. Woodberry. 1997. “Review of ‘Religion and the Culture Wars: Dispatches from the Front.’” Review of Religious Research 39(2): 190-91.
- Robert D. Woodberry. 1997. “Review of ‘God at the Grassroots: The Christian Right in the 1994 Elections.’” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 36(2): 335-336.
- Robert D. Woodberry, Juan Carlos Esparza Ochoa, Reid Porter and Xiaoyun Lu. 2010. “Conceptual Framework and Technical Innovations for Creating the Project on Religion & Economy Change Geo-Spatial Database.” Project on Religion and Economic Change Working Paper #004.
- Robert D. Woodberry and Juan Carlos Esparza Ochoa. 2009. “Pastoral Activity of the Catholic Church: Geographic-Statistical, and Historical Database.” Project on Religion and Economic Change Working Paper #003
- Robert D. Woodberry and Xiaoyun Lu. 2007. “Technical Report on GIS and Statistical Analysis for the Project on Religion and Economic Change.” PREC Working Paper #001.
Esparza Ochao, Juan Carlos and Robert D. Woodberry (compilers). 2010. “Maps displaying various indicators of poverty in Mexico by municipality and ecclesiastical circumscription” pp. 92, 115, 119-123 in Los Pobres No Pueden Esperar: Un Imperativo que Llama al Diálogo y a la Acción. Centro de Estudios y Promoción Social, A.C.: Mexico City. Robert D. Woodberry. 2008. “PAA People.” PAA Affairs. Fall: 4. Ammerman, Nancy and Robert Woodberry. 2001. “Graduate Education in the Sociology of Religion.” ASA Sociology of Religion Section Newsletter 7(2): 1-2.